Wednesday 25 July 2012

Lenny Kravitz 'Heaven Help'

Chart Peak: 20

YouTube
'Heaven Help' was Lenny's 3rd British hit single this year and multi-instrumentalist, producer, writer, singer and musical maverick previously charted with 'Are You Gonna Go My Way' and 'Believe'.
Here's a track I hadn't heard, or even heard of, until I was handed Now 26: it didn't cross my path at the time and I've done my best to avoid Lenny Kravitz since then. I'm sure he'll survive the revelation, but he's one of my least favourite musicians and I'm quite relieved that he so rarely shows up in the Now! series.
In fairness, of his three appearances this proves by far the least objectionable. It lacks his usual turgid rock riffing and is a fairly pretty ballad, though not a million miles away from Stevie Wonder's similarly-titled hit. Like that song, it comes from outside songwriters: in this case including Terry Britten, best-known for his work with that well-known musical maverick Cliff Richard. Still, Kravitz sings it pretty well.

Also appearing on: Now 24, 42
Available on: Are You Gonna Go My Way

No comments:

Post a Comment