Tuesday 30 August 2011

Placebo 'Nancy Boy'

Chart Peak: 4

YouTube

Placebo are Brian Molko, Stefan Olsdal and Steve Hewitt... Singer Brian met Stefan at school in Luxembourg but they didn't form the band until they ran into each other in London years later... The driving 'Nancy boy' gave them their first UK smash in January '97 when it reached No. 4

Another of the songs I associate very closely with that coach trip at the start of the year. At the time I hated this track - and Placebo in general - for their pseudishness, and their rather tiresome "Oooh look we're singing about sex! Isn't that naughty?" atmosphere. When I saw the video a few months later I hated that even more for the same reasons, although I did think it was amusing that Steve Hewitt's face is obscured throughout: he presumably doesn't play on this track as it was originally released on the album before he joined the band. To me the band's name seemed all too accurate.

This single mix is heavily reworked from the original album version and in all honesty the best parts of it do seem to lie in the remix. I'm rather more tolerant of this record now and can appreciate it for what it is, a well-put-together rock single, but I'll never really love it. I certainly wasn't one of the people who helped the album re-enter the Top 200 at 5, a rare achievement.

Available on: 101 Indie Classics [Explicit]

No comments:

Post a Comment