Wednesday 24 August 2011

Backstreet Boys 'Anywhere For You'

Chart Peak: 4

YouTube
Due for release on 17th March '97, 'Anywhere For You' is the follow-up to 'Quit Playin' Games'... It is surely destined to give the American harmonisers another British hit.

You can feel the enthusiasm dripping from that note there. This is one song that I genuinely didn't remember at all - I didn't just not remember how it sounded, like the Boyzone track yesterday, I didn't even remember that it existed. Of course I remember the band (indeed, they're still going now) and many of their songs. They were were particularly notable as one of the few US boybands to be really successful at the time, although they'd yet to conquer their home market at this stage.

Despite making the Top 5, this ballad passed me at the time, and it has again now. I noticed when I was searching online to make the links for this post that autocomplete tailed off after the band name, which implies that not many other people remember it. And yes, I'm aware that I've written a lot in this post without saying much about this song, but it really is utterly featureless. Even other slow Backstreet songs tend to have choruses that stick in the head but this is quite possibly the least distinctive track in Now! history. And that's quite a claim, believe you me.

Also appearing on: Now 35, 37, 38, 39, 43, 44, 45, 46, 48, 49, 51
Available on: Greatest Hits - Chapter 1

No comments:

Post a Comment