Tuesday 9 August 2011

Jamiroquai 'Virtual Insanity'

Chart Peak: 3

YouTube
The stormin' 'Virtual Insanity; was the track that broguth Jay Kay and Jamiroquai to an even bigger audience in the autumn of 1996... it was a Top 3 smash in August and was quickly followed by the groovin' 'Cosmic Girl' 3 months later.


Slightly odd for the sleevenote to draw attention to how out of date this inclusion is, but presumably Jamiroquai tracks were hard to get onto Now albums, as their impressive tally of hits only netted them four appearances, and their only Number One single never made it.

This was their second-highest placing though, and comes from their biggest-selling album - allegedly the biggest-selling funk album ever - Travelling Without Moving. I almost bought it myself, having sort of liked a few of the singles, but in retrospect I'm fairly glad I didn't, because I can't imagine I'd have listened to it much - the more I hear of Jamiroquai, the less I like them as they seem to reshuffle the same limited stock of musical ideas in a rather soulless way. On this particular song, Jay Kay also tries his hand at a bit of social commentary, declaring that "It's a wonder man can eat at all when things are big that should be small", trying to deride technological progress even as his album cover flaunts his enthusiasm for the four-wheeled kind of technology. I mean, I like cars and care about the environment too, but I try to avoid this sort of finger-wagging smugness.

Also appearing on: Now 26, 44, 50
Available on: High Times: Singles 1992-2006 (Special Edition)

No comments:

Post a Comment