Tuesday 18 January 2011

Roxette 'Joyride'

Chart Peak: 4

YouTube

The album seems to wake up somewhat at this point, and for a change we get an act represented by one of their biggest hits. Roxette were, as I might already mentioned, not an act I was ever fond of, even as the songs lodged themselves indelibly in my memory. There seemed to be something a bit too forced, a bit too gimmicky and greedy about their music.

Twenty years have been surprisingly kind to 'Joyride' though, possibly their goofiest hit. Obviously, that's a particular advantage in this context, amid a lot of rather po-faced rock, but I also think I've grown up a bit and I'm more inclined to laugh along with the song which brings out every silly trick in the book, including that immortal lyric "Now she's telling all her secrets... in a wonderful balloon!" and the whistling middle section. It's the crowning glory when ten seconds from the end Per Gessle shouts "Rox-ETTE!". I wouldn't enjoy hearing this every day and it's definitely too long, but it was cheery enough for me today.

Also appearing on: Now 15, 18, 21, 23, 42
Available on: Hits

No comments:

Post a Comment