Sunday 2 January 2011

Enya 'Caribbean Blue'

Chart Peak: 13

YouTube

We stay in a bit of a mellow mood for the lead single from her big comback album and, at the time, her biggest hit since 'Orinoco Flow'. At the time, like most 13-year olds I suspect, I paid very little attention to Enya and even though this song was getting played on the radio it wasn't until much later that I associated the song with the title; probably not until over a decade later when a then-colleague gave me all his cassettes because he'd decided to upgrade to a personal CD player. I did tape over most of them and I think I may even have recorded over the best of Enya eventually but at some point I did find myself spooling it through my Walkman; and as a distraction from the working day 'Caribbean Blue' was actually quite effective. It did rather wash over me but I sort of thought that was the point.

I had, if not high hopes, at least some confidence about the thought of listening to this track. And I wouldn't say the hopes were dashed exactly but sitting at home on a comfortable chair I didn't enjoy this one quite so much. Maybe trying too hard to listen to it was to its detriment somehow. It's not one I'd ever have paid money for, at any rate. I don't think she'll starve though.

Also appearing on: Now 23, 33, 59 [Pirates feat. Enya, Shola Ama, Naila Boss & Ishani]
Available on: Shepherd Moons

No comments:

Post a Comment