Wednesday 13 July 2011

Jaki Graham 'Set Me Free'

Chart Peak: 7

YouTube
The follow-up to 'Mated' charted at No. 62 on 29th April and had raced to No. 7 by 10th June 1986.

Another of those songs that I must have heard enough while they were current for them to sound familiar when I hear them now - but I struggle to remember it any time when I'm not listening to it. At this point in history we're nearing the end of Graham's brief run of significant chart success, although she did re-appear in the mid-90s with a few minor Top 75 entries and she continues to record and tour to this day.

I wanted to like this, not least because British soul music often seems underappreciated, and I don't not like it. I just find it difficult to feel strongly about either way. Everyone does a good job, it just doesn't leave much of an impression.

Also appearing on: Now 5, 6 (with David Grant), 8
Available on: Breaking Away

No comments:

Post a Comment