Friday 15 July 2011

The Real Roxanne with Hitman Howie Tee '(Bang Zoom) Lets Go Go'

Chart Peak: 11

YouTube

I've never seen the film Son Of Rambow, but evidently both this and the previous track appear on the soundtrack. Even knowing that it's set in the 1980s, that's quite a coincidence. I presume the characters were born a little longer ago than I was though, because I was definitely too young to know about the Roxanne craze in mid-80s rap, and in fact I have no memory of this record at all.

Anyway, it transpires that Adelaida Martinez adopted her stage name to record an "official" answer record to a UTFO B-side, and scored a surprise UK hit with the follow-up. It's a decent early rap effort, although the production sounds a bit cheap now and the samples from old cartoons break up the flow somewhat. Especially when the track ends with a lengthy chunk of a Bugs Bunny cartoon that doesn't make a lot of sense in sound only. They wouldn't be able to afford that nowadays, I bet.

Available on: Son Of Rambow (Music From The Motion Picture)

No comments:

Post a Comment