Monday 9 May 2011

Bitty McLean 'Here I Stand'

Chart Peak: 10

YouTube
'Here I Stand' was the 3rd UK chart success for new Midlands chart sensation Delroy "Bitty" McLean... His previous hits were 'It Keeps Rainin' and 'Pass It On' and he has just completed a successful tour supporting UB40.

Not a very surprising booking there as they McLean had been an employee of UB40, working as a tape op and sometimes backing singer for them before he went solo. Most of his hits were covers and this one apparently originates with the Jamaican singer Justin Hind[e]s, though I admit I hadn't heard that version until now. Nor had I heard the 1958 US hit by Wade Flemons which this faintly recalls in places. Mind you, I don't think I'd heard Bitty's either.

He has a good enough voice but the song isn't quite interesting enough to withstand the unexciting performance and arrangement. I didn't want to dislike this and I don't quite but I'm deeply unenthusiastic. His nephew had a hit recently (as McLean) and I didn't like that much either.

Also appearing on: Now 28
Available on: Just To Let You Know...

No comments:

Post a Comment