Thursday 7 April 2011

East 17 'It's Alright (The Guvnor Mix)'

Chart Peak: 3

YouTube

Yes, East 17 were so proud of their regional identity that even the names of their radio edits seem to reflect it. 'It's Alright' was the follow-up to their unlikely cover version of 'West End Girls' and this too shares its title with a Pet Shop Boys hit; though of course the PSB song was a cover version already, and they are different songs. The sentiments aren't dissimilar though.

One thing that's surprised me as I've been doing these posts is how dancey early East 17 was - I'd always thought of them as more of an RnB act but I suppose that wasn't really a saleable style in 1992-3. It does have the usual self-important tone of Tony Mortimer's lyrics though ("We are the seed of the new breed"?) and I suspect that's his awful rap in the middle as well. There's a big chorus that I can't pretend isn't catchy, but fundamentally this is rubbish.

Also appearing on: Now 23, 24, 25, 29, 30, 31, 33, 35, 36, 41 (as E-17)
Available on: The Platinum Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment