Saturday 16 April 2011

Richard Marx 'Now And Forever'

Chart Peak: 13

YouTube

Are you ready to rock? I say, are you ready to rock?
Well, tough, it's another slow song now.
Richard's emotional ballad 'Now And Forever' reached No. 12 in Britain in January 1994... His first three albums have produced sensational worldwide sales of 15 million copies.

If you'd asked me, I don't think I'd have guessed that he was still scoring major hits as recently as 1994. Listening now, the song does sound vaguely familiar but I wouldn't have been able to place it as being from any particular time. It certainly feels older than it is, being very much in the line of earlier Marx hits and topped by his very eighties vocal style: I've struggled to think of a description and come up with gruff-but-empty, the same sort of thing Bryan Adams did (and still does, I suppose).

It's a slushy ballad about how much he loved his wife, and since they're still together almost twenty years on we can safely say that he was telling the truth. I can completely understand why people like this, but it doesn't do what I personally want music to do. 

Also appearing on: Now 16, 22, 23
Available on: Paid Vacation

No comments:

Post a Comment