Wednesday 2 February 2011

Westlife 'Uptown Girl'

Chart Peak: 1 (1 week)

YouTube

And froma record that it'd be contrarian not to like to one it'd be contrarian to enjoy. The official Comic Relief single for 2001, according to the sleeve note it raised "thousands of Pounds" and became their eighth Number One single out of nine, if you include the collaboration. It marks their first ever appearance in the Now series though, and even then it's a bit late, having been a hit six months earlier than the preceding Kylie record.

Of course, it's a fairly faithful cover of Billy Joel's only chart-topping single, which was one of my favourite records when I was about five. It doesn't sound quite so good to me now and therefore I'm not so offended by this version. Or maybe I'm just relieved every time I hear Westlife do a song that isn't a slowie but either way I don't really mind this one too much. It has nothing to recommend it musically either, unless you give it a bye for being a charity record, but it's harmless.

One thing I'd never noticed until I looked up the video for this post: Claudia Schiffer shows up in the video but it's actually quite blatant that she was never in the same shot as the band themselves. Presumably scheduling issue were to blame, but it's tempting to assume she just refused to be on a set where a Westlife track was playing. 

Also appearing on: Now 62, 63, 65, 68.
Available on: Unbreakable: the Greatest Hits Vol.1

No comments:

Post a Comment