Sunday 27 February 2011

Gabrielle 'Don't Need The Sun To Shine (To Make Me Smile)'

Chart Peak: 9

YouTube
Still in awe of her own success, Gabrielle says "I used to watch all these stars accepting their Brit Awards and I never dreamed back then that I'd win two of 'em myself. I was supposed to be a one-hit wonder."


The token new song on her Greatest Hits album, 'Don't Need The Sun To Shine' continued a run of big hits that would have seemed implausible after the weak performance of the follow-ups to 'Dreams'. Like the preceding track, it's a laid-back track combining acoustic guitars and gentle electronic backing. It aims for the same contented vibe as well, and is unsurprisingly somewhat more successful in doing so as Gabrielle is undoubtedly a more gifted singer.

All of which said, it still remains rather slight. This is how I feel about most of her music: I sort of like it, recognise the talent involved and feel warmth towards it (and her) but it doesn't really captivate me. Still, it's a nice change to have a new single on a Greatest Hits that's not the weakest track there.

Also appearing on: Now 25, 26, 27, 33, 35 (with East 17), 36, 44, 45, 46, 47, 49, 58
Available on: Dreams Can Come True - Greatest Hits Vol 1

No comments:

Post a Comment