Monday 14 February 2011

Nelly Furtado 'Turn Off The Light'

Chart Peak: 4

YouTube

I hadn't realised until recently, but this is a slightly ironic song to be posting about on Valentine's Day, because it's all about loneliness. She garbles it rather, but the chorus is "they say that girl she acts so tough, but it's till I turn off the light." There's a bit more to the track than initially meets the ear in other words, and it's a bit of a shame that I was too annoyed by all the hype around 'I'm like A Bird' to pay any attention.

Which isn't to say that this track isn't at all irritating in its own right; I have limited tolerance for the overdone showy scat singing and this album (probably accidentally) exacerbates things by using the album version rather than the shorter single cut. But I can admit now there's a decent song hidden in here, and the luxuriant production on the intro is a nice touch.

Also appearing on: Now 48, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 (with Timbaland and Justin Timberlake)
Available on: Best Of

No comments:

Post a Comment