Wednesday 23 May 2012

Scissor Sisters 'She's My Man'

Chart Peak: 29

YouTube

'She's My Man' is the 3rd single from the No. 1 album Ta-Dah... The track has been likened to Elton John's 1983 single 'I'm Still Standing' which is no surprise as the band admits he has heavily influenced their music. He collaborated with them on two tracks on Ta-Dah - 'I Don't Feel Like Dancin' and 'Intermission'.
Did Sir Elton secretly ghost-write the notes to these 2000s Now albums? He does seem to get mentioned a lot when they're talking about other people's records. Anyway, after their genuine collaboration with him had become the biggest hit of their career, 'She's My Man' was the obvious second single from the album, certainly radio's favourite track around the time of the release and a song that seemed likely to become a big hit. Unfortunately for them, somebody thought it would be a good idea to release the awful power-ballad 'Land Of A Thousand Words' instead and whilst that just about made the Top 20, it had little staying power and took a lot of the momentum out of their career. The wait for a third Top 10 hit goes on, with their most recent single entering at 12 this very week.

Anyway, my dispassionate calculation that this was released too late shouldn't be mistaken for enthusiasm for the song itself. They weren't a band I liked much in the first place and after a couple of years the novelty had really worn off. The falsetto voice of Jake Shears (not his real name) has always set my teeth on edge too, and this song is just full of their usual "ooh look at us we're crazy and a big gay" references. Actually, I meant to write "a bit gay" in that last sentence, but what I did type seems to capture the tone better. I can't deny that it's catchy though, and it is worth hearing the radio edit featured here for the exceptionally clumsy way they've edited the word "bastard[s?]" at 3:01. Strangely enough, "bitch" and "all the balls we need" are untouched, so to speak.


Also appearing on: Now 57, 58, 59, 60, 65, 76
Available on: Ta Dah

No comments:

Post a Comment