Thursday 10 May 2012

Klaxons 'Golden Skans'

Chart Peak: 7

YouTube
Klaxons scored a No. 7 hit with their anthemic single 'Golden Skans' before their poundingly catchy album Myths Of The Near Future got to No. 4 on its release at the end of Jan '07... They are described as the pioneers of New Rave and glowsticks were out in full force when they headlined the NME Indie Rave Tour in Feb 2007.
Sorry this post is a bit late. I got slightly out of the rhythm of writing when I stayed up till 1am watching a documentary about Yes Minister on YouTube. And sadly, I'm not even joking. I'm also sorry I don't have a photo of the single here, because I do slightly regret not buying the 7" version with a live version of 'The Bouncer' on the flipside. Still, I did get the album in Woolworth's for £4 not long after it came out so I didn't miss out on the song itself at least.

I remember some discussion at the time as to whether New Rave (or Nu-Rave, as it was sometimes spelt) actually existed or was just something the bass player made up for a joke, punning on previous NME enre names like New Wave, New Wave Of New Wave and of course New Grave. It's certainly true that Klaxons made their name combining alternative rock sounds with elements of early-90s rave culture, hence 'The Bouncer'; however 'Golden Skans' is one of their most conventionally indie-sounding songs, reminiscent of a more awake version of Doves. Naturally I assumed that the title must be some sort of drug reference, but apparently it's actually a type of disco lighting, which still makes sense in the context of the lyric, which is evidently about the sense of euphoria and possibility some people feel when they go clubbing. Whilst that's not a sentiment I can personally identify with, I like to think I can recognise a good pop song when I hear one, and I've heard one here.

Also appearing on: Now 67
Available on: Myths Of The Near Future

No comments:

Post a Comment