Friday 30 July 2010

Berri 'Sunshine After The Rain'

Chart Peak: 4 (original version 26 in 1994)

YouTube

For practical reasons, I'm having to write this post immediately after the one published yesterday about 'I Feel Love', and that's only appropriate because just as that track fades out, this one bursts in with an intro that's so obviously sampled from 'I Feel Love' I expected Moroder to get a writing credit. He doesn't though.

In fact, that sample is an addition of the remix that became the bigger hit (the "Two Cowboys edit" to be exact). The original 1994 mix (credited to New Atlantic/U4EA featuring Berri) is more breakbeat-oriented and a bit less repetitive. Mind you, only today did I discover that songwriter Ellie Greenwich had actually supplied verses, as I don't recall the hit version by Elkie Brooks. This, at least in its 1995 incarnation, is precisely the sort of music I hated at the time, and although with hindsight it isn't really that bad, it's still not something I'd listen to voluntarily. It briefly made Rebbeca Sleight a pop star and she was "romantically linked" with Liam Gallagher but in the event there was only to be one more hit, whereafter she retired back to Yorkshire and organised the 2006 World Yorkshire Pudding Throwing Championships. Worth knowing, I think.


Available on: 90 Club Hits From The 90's

No comments:

Post a Comment