Monday 12 September 2011

Sheryl Crow 'Everyday Is A Winding Road'

Chart Peak: 12

YouTube

Sheryl won Best International Female award at the Brits recently and performed this rousing worldwide hit on the show... 'Everyday Is A Winding Road' was a No. 12 smash in late '96.

Apologies for the break in transmission back there. I wasn't feeling well and I try to avoid writing up anything I actually like when I'm out of sorts because I fear not doing it justice.

Anyway, whilst she may not have been a very close fit with my britpop-dominated early record collection, I was very keen on the first two Sheryl Crow albums at the time, particularly her self-produced second set; perhaps shamefully, I worked out that buying it doubled the number of albums I owned with female producers. In all honesty, she pretty much lost my interest after that point and I don't drag these two out much either, but this track has remained a favourite. Listening with a critical ear now, I admit that the lyric comes over as a little self-conscious, and perhaps over-reacts to her pop-star image; there's an element of "ooh look, I mentioned nicotine because I'm sooo edgy", but this remains a fine-sounding record full of looped percussion and "duelling" harmoniums (harmonia?) to create a genuinely interesting sound picture. You can almost hear the dust. Neil Finn's only-really-noticeable-when-you-know-they're-there backing vocals probably weren't wholly necessary, but nice of him to chip in anyway. It turns out to be his last Now appearance to date as well. 

Also appearing on: Now 35, 37, 39, 41, 52
Available on: The Very Best Of Sheryl Crow

No comments:

Post a Comment