Friday 6 August 2010

The Outhere Brothers 'La La La Hey Hey'

Chart Peak: 7

YouTube
'La La La Hey Hey Hey' was the third Top 10 UK hit in 1995 for Chicago's Outhere Brothers... It made No 7 In September and followed 'Boom Boom Boom' and 'Don't Stop (Wiggle Wiggle)'.
Of course those first two hits were both Number Ones. And they were both near-inescapable at the time, particularly in school playgrounds once word got around that some of the versions available were a bit naughtier than the ones you could hear on the radio. Indeed, their album 1 Polish, 2 Biscuits And A Fish Sandwich is the last one I can recall being actually seized by the authorities due to obscene content (it was later replaced by the sanitised Outhere Brothers Party Album).

In contrast, I don't remember this record at all. And now I've listened back to it I know why. Apparently there are some rude words in the original edit of the track, but I couldn't even tell where they've been cut out of this version. It's a slightly more Eurodisco sound than their two biggest hits, but that's about the most there is to be said about this very uninspired track where even the call-and-response vocals fall flat. In fact, I think I might have spent longer writing this post than they spent writing the song.

Also appearing on: Now 30, 31
Available on: Grandmix: the 90's...II

No comments:

Post a Comment