Wednesday 9 June 2010

Jellybean Featuring Adele Bertei 'Just A Mirage'

Chart Peak: 13

YouTube

This is not the first time I've had to write about Jellybean, but I'm quite relieved that it's likely to be the last. It's not that his music is in any way unpleasant, it's just that at least now I'm hearing it outside its original context, it's very unengaging and I struggle for anything to say about it. In fact, almost immediately after playing it I was struggling to remember it.

From what I've heard, even fans of his previous hits thought 'Just A Mirage' a little bit of a disappointing follow-up. Even though Adele Bertei turns out to have been part of the New Wave underground in the late 1970s, this is a very mainstream-sounding record, almost drifting into Stock Aitken Waterman territory; mind you, I think even they would have baulked at that screechy guitar solo in the middle. You could dance to it, but it doesn't really sound that much like a dance record as I'd imagine it. It's starting to feel a bit like filler as we near the end of the album.

Also appearing on: Now 10 [Jellybean with Stephen Dante], 11 [Jellybean with Elisa Fiorello]

No comments:

Post a Comment