Wednesday 10 February 2010

Eurythmics 'Sexcrime (Nineteen Eighty-Four)'

Chart Peak: 4

YouTube

This is probably as good a time as any to come clean and admit that doing Now 4 at this stage was a bit of a mistake. I had an undisclosed plan to do one album from every year from 1983 to 1999, so I was about to do Now 5 for 1985, but then forgot myself and made a last-minute switch to this 1984 album. Oops.

Still, it's one of the few times I get to write about the Eurythmics here, presumably for contractual reasons; the soundtrack to a film of 1984 was on Virgin rather than their usual home at RCA, and so presumably more easily obtainable. I haven't seen the film and I don't think I'd heard the song before either, although I do remember the "Doo-do-do, boom-boom" middle section from a VH-1 trailer. The rest reminds me oddly of Queen somehow. They made worse records than this, but it feels like it loses a lot out of context.

Also appearing on: Now 2, 6
Available on: 1984 for the Love of Big Brother

No comments:

Post a Comment