Tuesday 22 December 2009

Sophie B. Hawkins 'Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover'

Chart Peak: 14

YouTube

It stands for Ballantine, you know.

Actually, my one abiding memory of this track is from a decade after it was released when Radio 2, in a seeming moment of desparation, selected a compilation called The Sex Album as album of the week. One day that gave Ken Bruce the chance to make the legendary introduction, "Today's track is from Sophie B. Hawkins, who's so excited she'll swear at you". I've got to admit that sort of ruined the song for me.

At any rate, it seemed to crystalise the awkwardness about this song. It's obviously not wholly accidental, but there's something about songs that try very hard to be sexy which I find quite off-putting, much credit as it gets for at least steering well clear of the most vomitorious cliches. Perhaps I just saw too many Carry On films at an impressionable age to react to that stuff about "coming into my Jungle Book" with anything other than a giggle. It's probably a really good record but I can't really enjoy it somehow.

Also appearing on: Now 29
Available on: Best of Sophie B Hawkins

No comments:

Post a Comment