Thursday 11 December 2014

All Saints 'I Know Where It's At'

Chart Peak: 4
YouTube
All Saints are Melanie Blatt, Shaznay Lewis and sisters Natalie and Nicky Appleton... 'I Know Where It's At' was a No. 4 hit in early September '97 and the follow-up 'Never Ever' is due for release in early November.
And the Seventies rock connections continue, as the distinctive piano intro is sampled from Steely Dan's song 'The Fez', and indeed the  remainder of the song is close enough in rhythm that I'm surprised Becker and Fagen didn't demand a writing credit. The single was actually released in late August 1997, but as I mentioned last time All Saints cropped up on here, it was one of the new entries on the unbroadcast chart on the 1st of September. I wasn't massively impressed with the track at the time and liked it even less as I became more and more tired of the group. But taken for what it is, this is a decent funky pop record, though Shaznay Lewis's pseudo-TLS rap in the middle seems unfinished and it better forgotten. So the song has sort of grown on me, although ironically hearing how the best parts come from the Dan has put me off a bit again.

Also appearing on: Now 39, 40, 41, 42, 47, 65
Available on: All Saints / I Know Where It's At

No comments:

Post a Comment