Wednesday 20 April 2011

Tori Amos 'Cornflake Girl'

Chart Peak: 4

YouTube

'Cornflake Girl' gave Tori her first British Top 10 single when it made No. 4 in January 1994... She was born in North Carolina, was a gifted child prodigy (playing the piano at 2½ years old) and her father is a methodist preacher.

A slightly odd set of information, although as far as I know it is all accurate. I also know that there are people out there to whom Amos means everything and thus I suspect they're not so enthusiastic about her biggest solo hit (and only Now appearance). That's understandable but what they won't thank me for saying is that I still sort of like this song but wouldn't want to keep hearing a steady stream of hits from her.

It's distinctive (though obviously following in the footsteps of Kate Bush) and in many ways impressive track musically. I certainly remember it catching my ear at the time although I didn't really understand what it was about - and to be honest even now that I know the subject matter and understand the cornflake reference, I still would find it difficult to parse line-by-line. It's definitely something of a standout here, not least because it picks up the pace a little after several tracks of similar balladry, but it's a record I could easily tire of. I've never bought into her an artist properly, put it that way.

Nepotism watch: legendary Medway indie band The Dentists, who include a relative of mine, covered this song. It's available on their compilation If All The Flies Were One Fly.


Available on: Under the Pink

No comments:

Post a Comment