Monday 25 January 2010

Big Country 'East Of Eden'

Chart Peak: 17

YouTube

For some reason, this is the one Big Country song I remember fairly well, though it's far from their biggest hit. It was the most successful single release from their only Number One album Steeltown, but that's unlikely to have made a lot of difference in my childhood because we didn't have the album.

In fact, the reason I remember this is a slightly more surprising one: it's actually quite a good record. Maybe that's not surprising to everyone, but in retrospect I've struggled to get what people liked about them beyond the absence of Richard Jobson. Bombastic as it is, 'East Of Eden' comes closest to hitting the mark for me, thanks to that punchy chorus "some days I just don't worry". Were I of the right generation I think I could love this.

Also appearing on: Now 2, 7, 8
Available on: The Greatest Hits Of Big Country And The Skids

No comments:

Post a Comment